Monday, February 28, 2011

Not-so-Pointy Witch Shoes

Monday, February 28, 2011

For whatever reason, my shoes today reminded me of witch shoes.* Can't you just see them sticking out from underneath a house? 

my shoes
But when I googled to find a picture that would show everybody how much my shoes looked like witch shoes, I realized that they didn't really look anything at all like witch shoes. 

witch shoes

Oh well. It's the thought that counts. It doesn't really matter because I still liked them, and I liked the way they looked with my skirt.


shirt -- Trnka 
skirt -- Trnka
tights -- Gap
shoes -- (thrifted)

I have been loving the way that the girls today -- and by girls, I mean teenagers and young twenty somethings -- can get away with wearing boots with a dress. Unfortunately, at 52, that style is a bit too young for me, and I would look positively silly wearing something like that. That being said, however, I think I was able to capture some of the elements that I liked and still feel comfortable with what I was wearing. I came close enough to the pretty flowered dresses with Doc Martens that it made me happy.

My shirt and my skirt today were made and designed by Shari Trnka, when she lived right around the corner from me. In fact, our backyards butted up against each other. Her clothes were great -- they were well made, comfortable, and they lasted. I have had both the shirt and the skirt (the skirt is part of a set) for 15 years, maybe 20? I can't remember exactly when I got them. But they are still in great shape, and have never gone out of style. Shari now sews one-of-a-kind clothing, by hand in her studio in Washington state, from fabrics that have been reclaimed and recycled from manufacturer's overruns of natural fiber fabrics.*

*I didn't know that until just now, when I went searching on the Web to see what she was up to -- she left Delaware many years ago, and with her talent, I knew she had to still be doing something. Pretty cool. 


My pin was a gift from my three kids (I have a son and two daughters). Isn't it beautiful? They had it made for me at a local jewelery store -- Minsters Jewelers. I don't wear it often enough -- I need to change that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts