Thursday, January 31, 2008

Leading a Simple Life ... Take II

The latest from Weekly Simplicity Tips (newsletter@encouragingcoach.com)

1. Take one action to go towards one of your goals.
Hmmmm..... this is a tough one. I mean, first I have to define what my goals are, right?

2. What will you say no to so you can protect your self-care? ie 2nd helpings, clutter, debt,
procrastination, missing deadlines, working on Sundays.
Hmmmm..... another tough one. What do you do when you are a people pleaser, and one of those people that you want to please is yourself?

3.One evening this week, do something fun.
Fun? I don't have a clue as to what that means anymore ... I know there are times when I have fun, but I don't know how to go out and have fun ... pretty sad, huh? I guess that maybe that should be a goal that I define for myself. I do have fun with my kids, but I don't want to be one of those sad, sad people whose definitions of themselves revolve around their kids. I don't think that is true of me -- it's just a comfortable place for me right now (and why do I suddenly feel like I am going to burst into tears?).

4. What kind of choices are you making lately?
Another loaded question! I think that I am making some good choices. I have been getting rid of things through Freecycle and posting them on Craigslist, but then I am still not where I want to be in my life, so maybe I am not making the best choices ... Lately, it seems like all my choices revolve around money -- spending it. I truly like the things that I am getting, but it is not like I have the money to get them ... so the guilt just pores in (should be the topic of my next post ....)

How can you make better ones?
Probably by being less impulsive.

5. Do the most unpleasant task first today.
This one was a piece of cake. I hate to wake up early -- I am just not a morning person. However, my daughter does need to get to school, and since we live 1.85 miles from the school, she is technically a walker. No way in hell will I let my 14-year-old daughter walk to school in the dark, in whatever weather it is for the day, carrying all the stuff that an active child needs to bring to school. Surprisingly enough, it is one of the few things that her dad (my ex) agree upon.

Anyway, back to the task at hand -- I woke up at the dutiful 6:15, made sure my daughter was up, and made her lunch. Then went outside and started the car, hoping it would get slightly warm -- hah, that was a joke.

See how you feel afterwards.

Crappy ... no other word for it. I got no joy in watching the sun rise. All I wanted to do and did was crawl back into bed ... did not really get back to sleep (I should take a note of that ...), so I have felt horrible the entire day ....

6. Act like you are in control of your time. You have more control then you think.
Ok, this is a tough one too... I guess I just don't know what this means. Perhaps somebody can explain it to me. When it gets tough, I just want to crawl into bed and hide ...

7. Enjoy some freshly sqeezed juice.
Finally, an easy one -- freshly squeezed juice just does not appeal to me. Now, don't get me wrong .... I love juice, and I love the old-fashioned juice makers, but c'mon -- take time to make freshly squeezed juice that is pulpy and may contain seeds? Give me an orange! and no guilt in this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Honest opinions and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Popular Posts